Skip to Content Top

Can Your Home Cause Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

carbon monoxide detector

When you get home, the last thing that you want to worry about is your safety. Unfortunately, carbon monoxide poisoning is a common and deadly event that can happen in anyone’s home.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has estimated that about 400 people per year die from unintentional carbon monoxide exposure in the US every year. This deadly effect can be attributed to the fact that carbon monoxide (CO) is odorless, tasteless and colorless.

There are a lot of precautions you can take to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in your home. With Benchmark Electrical Services, you can hire qualified professionals to make sure that you have all the tools necessary to prevent carbon monoxide leaks and accidental inhalation in your home. Make sure to keep a watchful eye for poison and learn when to replace your CO detector below.

What Are The Signs Of CO Poisoning?

Learning about the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning is a great way to prevent it before it goes too far. Our team has organized this guide of warning signs you should look out for. If you suspect you or your family have been exposed to CO, leave your home and call emergency services. Do not reenter your home until emergency service professionals tell you it’s safe.


One of the most common early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning is a persistent headache that seems to have no cause. This may also be accompanied by feelings of dizziness or lightheadedness.

Nausea And Vomiting

Exposure to carbon monoxide can cause feelings of nausea and vomiting. This is an extreme symptom that indicates that you need to leave the house immediately, as you have already breathed in a lot of CO.

Fatigue And Weakness

Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause increased levels of fatigue and weakness, often resembling flu-like symptoms. Do you know that ache you get in your legs before you come down with the flu or a cold? You may feel that same ache when there is too much CO in your house.

When Should You Get Your Carbon Monoxide Detector Replaced?

Carbon monoxide detectors are absolutely essential safety devices that play a huge role in protecting you and your family. While the lifespan of a CO detector can vary greatly based on the brand and maintenance, it’s generally recommended to replace them every 5 to 7 years.

This ensures operability when you need it most. The sensors inside the detectors can degrade over time, affecting their accuracy and reliability in monitoring gas levels. Looking at the manufacturer’s recommendations for the specific detector you have and adhere to your guidelines.

There are also certain situations that may prompt the need for immediate replacement of a CO detector. If the detector has been exposed to high levels of CO due to malfunctions, then it is important to replace it following the event. This is because detectors that have been triggered may lose their sensitivity and accuracy.

Call Today For Expert Carbon Monoxide Alarm Installation

Ensuring the safety of your home and loved ones is only a call away! Carbon monoxide is a silent killer, and you’ll need everything available to make sure that you are kept safe from leakage or malfunctions.

Our team of expert technicians at Benchmark Electrical Services are always here to help! Whether it’s replacement, repair or other electrical problems, we have the solutions that you need at a price that you’ll love. Call (469) 202-4624 today for an installation that you can trust.